4 Best Salt-Based Water Softeners – Choosing the Most Effective Systems
Water softeners are needed to help soften hard water that comes from the water supply company into a house. Water softeners are typically installed on the houses’ main water inlet pipes to help reduce the effect of hard water on the pipe, water appliances, and the users’ hair and skin.
Because hard water is a type of water that contains higher than normal dissolved mineral content (magnesium and calcium), softening it usually involves removing the dissolved minerals to reduce the percentage in the water. Water softeners are thus designed to work on a model where they remove the dissolved minerals from the water to make water softer. There are usually three main types of water softeners available in the markets.
- Salt-based water softeners.
- Salt-free, electrical or filter.
- Reverse osmosis.
In this article of the 4 best salt-based water softener reviews, we are going to focus mainly on the salt-based water softeners. We discuss the 4 best salt-based water softeners:
- The GE GXMH40H Water Softener
The GE GXMH40H water softener is a good salt-based water softener with a rated capacity of up to 40,000 grains. It can easily hold up to 230lbs of salt making ideal for installation in small to medium-sized homes.
Even with its small and compact design, it features a water hardness removal capacity of 95gpg. It also helps to remove 3ppm of iron present in the water meaning that it not only ensures water softness but its purity as well.
It features a screen that will update you on the next salt change date. The system regenerates itself automatically and all that you will be required to do is top it up with salt pellets.
- Fleck 7000sxt Water Softener
Fleck is a renowned brand that makes some good water softeners and its Fleck 7000sxt Water Softener is a good salt-based water softener. It is well-suited for a large residential house. It has a high water softening capacity that can handle even high usage. Its smart process feature ensures that it only runs when it needs to and shuts off when there isn’t any need.
- Watts RV Softener – It is a highly compact salt-based water softener in this list. It’s compact makes it easy to be used even on the go on RVs. However, its rather small and compact size makes it compromise some quality features found on the more advanced whole house softening systems. The main advantage of this portable salt-based water softener is that it will keep you safe from potential effects to your health that may be caused by hard water even when you are on the go.
- Fleck Iron Pro2
This is yet another good salt-based water softener by Fleck on this list. With it, you can expect more than just water softening as it also helps to remove iron from the water to give the best iron-free water in your house. It is ideal for small to medium households. Just ensure that you are operating it per the instruction manuals to make it last longer.